Riddlesden Jacobs

A site about a West Yorkshire flock of Jacob Sheep


Leave a comment

So much for lambing charts! The first ewe – our chart informs us – was due to lamb on the 23rd/24th March – 5-6 days before the second one. So we’ve been anxiously waiting. We had friends come and stay with us and had confidently promised lambs to look at and possibly cuddle. No lambs – just 6 very fed up ewes (5 of them in the pic)


Maybe we were just even more anxious than usual because things went so wrong with our number 17 ewe (see last post) but we kept thinking maybe the ewe (the two horn shearling) was imminent. We were so confident in our chart, we nearly brought her in on the morning of the 24th. We only let her out again because she was so freaked out by being penned we thought she might try and jump the gates. I’m glad we did let her out because she hasn’t lambed yet! Brough, our ram, must have had a practice run when he marked her. No idea when she’s due now!

Anyway, the whole thing just felt like waiting and waiting and waiting and all the while getting more and more and more and more anxious and concerned about whether things were going wrong. On Easter Monday we thought things were going wrong. Our number 6, a lovely friendly 4 horn ewe just didn’t seem right. We watched her for a while, she just wasn’t herself and Anne had seen her lying on her side for a long time not really moving much. Eventually we brought her in. She was panting and not interested in food so we just watched her. No sign of lambing or of anything going wrong with lambing – just her panting unevenly.


We went home for a bit and started reading things – never a good idea really. It’s a bit like checking your own symptoms online and convincing yourself you’re as good as dead. We went back and gave the ewe some energy lick. She seemed to come round. We left her in over night and she seemed fine in the morning. I let her out again the next day and she seemed much brighter. She hasn’t lambed yet and I actually think she was just knackered and needed a bit of a rest and a boost.

Since things went wrong 10 days ago and we had the ewe put down we’ve been on pins. We’ve been second guessing every decision and we’ve worried ourselves silly. Waiting is worse than dealing with something. Ideally of course we wanted healthy strong lambs but even a crisis seems preferable to just waiting!


Author: Jess Guth

Dr Jess Guth is a Senior Lecturer in Law. She blogs at jessguth.com She also doesn't really run - reallynotarunner.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s